sábado, 19 de octubre de 2019

Aisle 13 | Pasillo 13


A few years ago, I worked at a big supermarket for a couple of months. I didn’t stay long nor only since it wasn’t my original plan in the first place anyway, but because of something, in particular, that happened to me once.

Something about that specific store always seemed weird to me, even before I started working there and was just another customer. All the aisles were numbered, but for some reason, there was a number missing; the number thirteen. At first, I thought that it was because of a silly superstitious reason like they do in some buildings and airplanes, but a fellow employee told me why after I started working there.

It turns out that there used to be an aisle 13 there, but it got removed after some psycho that tried to rob the place killed a hostage he had taken. Following that event, the personnel decided to remove the number since they thought that it might bring bad luck upon the location, but apparently, that didn’t fix the issues that ensued soon after.

I heard from all my former coworkers that strange things always happened on the aisle where the murder occurred –renamed “aisle 14” after the events took place–, around the exact spot where the victim died. Things like items falling off the shelves for no apparent reason; temperature dropping despite not being any fridges near; or even people slipping on nothing (as if there was still blood spilled on the floor).

I never took them seriously, thinking that it was just some stupid game they were playing to mess with my head or something because I was the new guy and all. But only a few days before I resigned, I understood that there was more than just a joke being passed around.

It happened near the end of my shift, around 7 p.m. I was just cleaning the floors close to the registers when the employees' phone ringed. I picked it up since there was no one else around that was as “free” as I was, with the only girl at the register dealing with a customer.

When I picked up and greeted the person on the other side of the line, asking what the problem was –since they usually used the phone to communicate whatever issue required primordial attention–, all I got as a response was a distorted male voice saying “clean up in aisle 13”. I replied, a little exasperated, that there was no aisle 13 while rolling my eyes and the line went dead.

At first, I thought that it was the manager trying to mess with me (since he’s almost the lone person to use that internal line), like the others seemed to do so often regarding the “haunted” aisle; after all, the only ones that knew about the whole thing were the people working there. I assumed that he was probably referring to the aisle 14 and used its former name just to creep me out. I even thought that they might have been pulling a prank on me and that they could have spilled something on that aisle just to make me clean it.

When I got there, despite my growing annoyance and desire for my shift to be over (which would be in five minutes), I found a spotless floor and no one to be seen. After that I just grabbed my things and went home, not caring about leaving a few minutes earlier since I was pissed off.

The next day, when I arrived, my manager confronted me about my early leave, and I told him that I got mad about his prank the previous evening. He then went to say that he didn’t know anything about that and that he wasn’t even in the store at that time, that he was notified about me leaving by one of my coworkers.

I retold the story from start to finish, and my manager went on to question everyone who was working at the store that night. Needless to say, we never found out who made that call. Either someone was lying, or a customer who knew about the story made a prank call using the phones, even when it’s prohibited for customers to use that line.

In the end, I quit that day, not really wanting to find out who or what made the call. I could live with not knowing, but I couldn't live with doing so.

______      ______      ______


Hace unos años, trabajé en un gran supermercado durante un par de meses. No me quedé mucho tiempo, no solo porque no era mi plan original en primer lugar, sino por algo en particular que me sucedió una vez.

Algo sobre esa tienda específica siempre me pareció extraño, incluso antes de comenzar a trabajar allí, cuando era solo otro cliente. Todos los pasillos estaban numerados, pero por alguna razón, faltaba un número: el número trece. Al principio, pensé que era por una tonta razón supersticiosa como lo hacen en algunos edificios y aviones, pero un compañero de trabajo me dijo por qué después de que comencé a trabajar allí.

Resulta que solía haber un pasillo 13 allí, pero fue eliminado luego de que un psicópata que intentó robar el lugar mató a un rehén que había tomado. Después de ese evento, el personal decidió eliminar el número ya que pensaban que podría traer mala suerte a la ubicación, pero aparentemente, eso no solucionó los problemas que surgieron al poco tiempo.

Escuché de todos mis antiguos compañeros de trabajo que siempre ocurrían cosas extrañas en el pasillo donde sucedió el asesinato –llamado "pasillo 14" después de que ocurrieron los hechos–, alrededor del lugar exacto donde murió la víctima. Cosas como productos que se caen de los estantes sin razón aparente; baja de la temperatura a pesar de que no hay refrigeradores cerca; o incluso personas que se resbalan con nada (como si todavía hubiese sangre derramada en el piso).

Nunca los tomé en serio, pensando que era solo un juego estúpido que estaban jugando para meterse en mi cabeza o algo así, porque yo era el chico nuevo y todo eso. Pero solo unos días antes de renunciar, entendí que era algo más que una broma.

Sucedió cerca del final de mi turno, alrededor de las 7 p.m. Estaba limpiando los pisos cerca de las cajas cuando sonó el teléfono de los empleados. Atendí, ya que no había nadie más que no estuviera tan "desocupados" como yo; la única chica en la caja estaba atendiendo a un cliente.

Cuando levanté el teléfono y saludé a la persona al otro lado de la línea, preguntándole cuál era el problema –ya que generalmente usaban el teléfono para comunicar cualquier problema que requiriera atención primordial–, todo lo que obtuve como respuesta fue una voz masculina distorsionada que dijo "limpieza en el pasillo 13". Le respondí, un poco exasperado, que no había pasillo 13 mientras rodaba los ojos, y la línea se cortó.

Al principio pensé que era el gerente tratando de meterse conmigo (ya que él es casi la única persona que usa esa línea interna), como los otros parecían hacer tan a menudo con respecto al pasillo "embrujado"; después de todo, los únicos que sabían todo el asunto eran las personas que trabajaban allí. Supuse que probablemente se refería al pasillo 14 y usó su antiguo nombre solo para asustarme. Incluso pensé que podrían haber estado conmigo y que podrían haber derramado algo en ese pasillo solo para hacerme limpiarlo.

Cuando llegué allí, a pesar de mi creciente molestia y deseo de que terminara mi turno (que era en cinco minutos), encontré un piso impecable y no se veía a nadie. Después de eso, agarré mis cosas y me fui a casa, sin preocuparme por irme unos minutos antes ya que estaba enojado.

Al día siguiente, cuando llegué, mi gerente me confrontó acerca de mi salida anticipada y le dije que me había enojado por su broma la noche anterior. Entonces me dijo que no sabía nada al respecto y que ni siquiera estaba en la tienda en ese momento; que uno de mis compañeros de trabajo le notificó que me había ido.

Volví a contar la historia de principio a fin, y mi gerente pasó a interrogar a todos los que trabajaron en la tienda esa noche. No hace falta decir que nunca descubrimos quién hizo esa llamada. Alguien estaba mintiendo o un cliente que conocía la historia hizo una llamada de broma usando los teléfonos, incluso cuando está prohibido que los clientes usen esa línea.
Al final, renuncié ese día, no queriendo saber quién o qué hizo la llamada. Podría vivir sin saber, pero no podría vivir sabiéndolo.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario