miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2019

Hang | Colgar


I have this memory, or at least I think is one, that keeps coming back to me. It’s related to something that my mother told me a long time ago, and that as I grew I began to see it as just a silly superstition; an old ghost story meant to be more like an indirect warning and lesson, as some fairy tales were as well.

It was quite simple and short, not a tale like the Red Riding Hood, which warned kids about wandering off and talking to strangers, or something along those lines. This one, oddly enough, was about hanging clothes on a clothing line to dry.

The alleged story told against hanging one’s clothes out on the backyard during a windy day when the sun was setting, cause otherwise, you could witness a presence that you weren’t aware was there in the first place and could even go insane from such a sight.

When I was a kid I didn’t think much about it, at least nothing beyond that “it was scary”. Only when I grew up did I start to consider that it was probably some made-up bullshit that my mom came up with in order so I never wasted good sunlight when it was my turn to hang the clothes to dry.

So, as it would be expected, once my mother passed away and I inherited the house, I stopped abiding by her rules. And thus, one late afternoon in June, I decided to finally refute her stupid hanging clothes tale and did what I hadn’t done in all my life: hanging the damp clothes from the line outside in the backyard, during a windy day while the sun was setting.

It was all normal, like every other time that I had done the same chore in the past, nothing weird or out of the ordinary was happening, so I could finally put to rest that curiosity and ridiculous residual fear that still resided in the back of my mind since my early childhood.

I was just about to finish, only things left were my bedsheets, which proved to be difficult due to the high winds blowing from behind my back. It was when I finally got one set on the line, and was about to pin it down, that the sheet flew away and got caught on something, or rather someone who was standing right in front of me. The white sheet perfectly marked the whole silhouette of the apparition before seconds later flew completely off of the “person's” body and up into the sky.

I never ran so quickly in my life, but all I wanted was to make it inside the house to lock myself in. I didn’t sleep that night, I stayed awake with all the lights on inside and outside the house. In fact, I couldn’t sleep for several days after that incident, and I had to eventually move out of the house into an apartment away from that neighborhood.

To this day I can’t make sense of what happened, nor of what I saw. I can only go over and over again the story my mom told me, and wonder if she said that because someone else told her the same one, or if she did it because she experienced herself. The only thing I know for sure is that I never hanged the clothes on a windy day while the sun was setting.

______      ______      ______


Tengo un recuerdo, o al menos creo que lo es, que sigo revisitando constantemente. Está relacionado a algo que mi madre me contó hace mucho tiempo y que a medida que crecía comencé a verlo como una superstición tonta; una vieja historia de fantasmas pretendía ser más una advertencia indirecta y una lección, como también lo eran algunos cuentos de hadas.

Era bastante simple y breve, no como Caperucita Roja, que advertía a los niños a alejarse de y no hablar con extraños. Éste, por extraño que parezca, se trataba de colgar la ropa en una tendedero de ropa para secar.

La supuesta historia contaba acerca de no colgar la ropa en el patio trasero durante un día ventoso cuando se estaba poniendo el sol, porque de lo contrario, se podría ver una presencia que nadie sabía que estaba allí en primer lugar, e incluso uno podría volverse loco en base a tal visión.

Cuando era niño no pensaba mucho en eso, al menos nada más allá de que eso "daba miedo". Solo cuando crecí comencé a considerar que probablemente era una tontería inventada por mi madre para que nunca desperdiciara la buena luz del sol cuando era mi turno de colgar la ropa para que se secara.

Entonces, como era de esperar, una vez que mi madre falleció y heredé la casa, dejé de cumplir sus reglas. Y así, una tarde de junio, decidí finalmente refutar su estúpido cuento de ropa colgada e hice lo que no había hecho en toda mi vida: colgar la ropa húmeda sobre la línea afuera en el patio trasero, durante un día ventoso mientras el sol se estaba poniendo.

Todo era normal, como cada vez que había hecho la misma tarea en el pasado, no pasaba nada extraño o fuera de lo común, por lo que finalmente pude calmar esa curiosidad y miedo ridículo que todavía residía en la parte posterior de mi mente desde mi infancia.

Estaba a punto de terminar, solo quedaban mis sábanas, lo que resultó ser difícil debido a los fuertes vientos que soplaban a mis espaldas. Fue cuando por fin conseguí colgar un juego en el tender, a punto de sujetarlo, que la sábana se fue volando y quedó atrapada en algo, o más bien alguien, que estaba parado justo frente a mí. La sábana blanca marcó perfectamente toda la silueta de la aparición antes de que, segundos después, volara del cuerpo de la “persona” hacia el cielo.

Nunca corrí tan rápido en mi vida, lo único que quería era entrar a la casa para encerrarme. No dormí esa noche; me quedé despierto con todas las luces encendidas dentro y fuera de la casa. De hecho, no pude dormir durante varios días después de ese incidente, y al final tuve que mudarme de la casa a un departamento alejado de ese vecindario.

Hasta el día de hoy, no puedo entender lo que sucedió ni lo que vi. Solo puedo repetir una y otra vez la historia que me contó mi madre, y preguntarme si dijo eso porque alguien más le contó lo mismo, o si lo hizo porque lo experimentó por sí misma. Lo único que sé con certeza es que nunca más colgué la ropa en un día ventoso mientras se ponía el sol.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario