jueves, 10 de octubre de 2019

Dear Brother | Querido hermano


I’m dying of boredom back here without you. Dad’s working all day, as usual, and mom barely pays any attention to me, too busy either cleaning the house or watching some stupid show on television. I miss playing with you, but no matter how much I beg our parents to give you another chance to come home, they’re hesitant and try to not answer affirmatively.

Every time you are gone to the hospital they attempt to explain to me why you have to go in the first place as if I can’t understand what’s wrong with you. They talk about your brain configuration being different than mine, and I guess they’re right about that one at least. They also say that you’re probably having a worse time over there, confined and medicated, than I’m having here, bored and alone, without my little brother to play with.

Mom said that the doctors told her that you are very sick, but your illness makes it seem like it isn’t that way. She tried to explain that you may appear normal and charming, faking good behavior when in reality you’re nothing like that, fooling even the doctors into thinking you are doing better. After all the things that you did, killing neighborhood’s pets, swapping mom’s medication with rat poison, cutting the breaks on dad’s car, and even burying razors in the park’s sandbox, they don’t really want you around anymore. 

I heard them one night arguing about bringing you back again, giving you one last chance. But dad said that they have already given you enough chances and that despite that, you still show no signs of improvement in your behavior. I don’t think you’ll be back for a long period, this time around. They have brought you home from the institution several times, but each stay lasted less than the previous one. No matter what, everything starts all over again as soon as you come back.

In the end, dad told me that I’ll have to put up with my boredom as long as it means keeping me safe from you. That’s a shame; I really miss you. Because as long as you are there, I have to pretend to be the good and sane child. Of course, I won’t send you this letter, since it’s an admission of culpability. I’ll burn it once it’s finished and I’ll try to wait patiently until you are released again. So, don’t worry about me, I’ll be waiting.

With love, your older brother.

______      ______      ______


Me estoy muriendo de aburrimiento aquí sin ti. Papá trabaja todo el día, como de costumbre, y mamá apenas me presta atención, demasiado ocupada limpiando la casa o viendo algún estúpido programa en la televisión. Echo de menos jugar contigo, pero no importa cuánto le ruegue a nuestros padres que te den otra oportunidad de volver a casa, dudan y tratan de no responder afirmativamente.

Cada vez que vas al hospital, intentan explicarme por qué tienes que ir en primer lugar, cómo si no pudiera entender qué te pasa. Hablan de que la configuración de tu cerebro es diferente a la mía, y supongo que tienen razón  sobre eso al menos. También dicen que probablemente estés pasando un peor momento allí, confinado y medicado, que el que yo vivo aquí, aburrido y solo, sin mi hermano pequeño para jugar.

Mamá dijo que los médicos le explicaron que estabas muy enfermo, pero que tu enfermedad hace que parezca que no es así. Ella trató de hacerme entender que puedes parecer normal y encantador, simulando un buen comportamiento cuando en realidad es al revés, engañando incluso a los médicos para que piensen que estás mejor. Después de todas las cosas que hiciste, matando a las mascotas del vecindario, intercambiando la medicación de mamá por veneno para ratas, cortando los frenos del auto de papá, e incluso enterrando navajas en el arenero del parque, ya no te quieren más.

Los escuché una noche discutiendo acerca de traerte de regreso, para darte una última oportunidad. Pero papá dijo que ya te han dado suficientes oportunidades y que a pesar de eso, aún no muestras signos de mejora en tu comportamiento. No creo que vuelvas por mucho tiempo esta vez. Te han traído de la institución a casa varias veces, pero cada estadía duró menos que la anterior. Sin importar qué, todo comienza de nuevo tan pronto como regresas.

Al final, papá me dijo que tendré que soportar mi aburrimiento siempre y cuando eso signifique mantenerme a salvo de ti. Es una pena; realmente te extraño. Porque mientras estés allí, tengo que fingir que soy el niño bueno y cuerdo. Por supuesto, no te enviaré esta carta, ya que es una admisión de culpabilidad. La quemaré una vez que haya terminado e intentaré esperar pacientemente hasta que te liberen de nuevo. Así que, no te preocupes por mí, te estaré esperando.

Con amor, tu hermano mayor.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario