lunes, 14 de octubre de 2019

Red & Blue | Rojo & Azul


I don’t remember how I got there or where I was; all I know is that there were strange people around me, apparently high off their tits. I was sitting in a battered chair, paranoid and afraid, with someone sober-looking sitting opposite me. They had both arms stretched forwards towards me, with the palms facing up, holding something tiny and colorful in each.

They were pills, I was told. One red and one blue; kind of like that sci-fi movie. I can’t recall much of what happened that night, only that they explained to me what the pills did and that I had to choose only one. I don’t know why I was there, nor why I had to pick one of those things. The strangest part is that, despite all that, I didn’t even want to leave then.

The red pill could –allegedly– transport me to a fictional world of my choosing, be it literature, film, TV, music or painting. The blue pill –also allegedly– could bring a fictional character from their fictional world to our real one. None of it made sense to me, but it sounded interesting nevertheless.

I don’t know why I even believe that it would work. Maybe I was high like the people around me. I had to choose, they told me; I couldn’t refuse them. So, like any irrational person who believes themselves to be rational, I thought about it for a few minutes. Well, it seemed like minutes but maybe it was hours.

The red pill could be fun, like going on an adventure to a new world. I could make a new life for myself, but at the same time, I could never come back home. As few as they were, I had people that I cared about here. And the blue pill seemed a little cruel; dragging someone from their own world into a new and unknown one, against their will. That to me was going too far.

Then I thought about it from another perspective: I could take away a character who was miserable in their own world and give them the chance to start anew and have a better life. That sounded nice; that could work. And then, without even noticing, I had already made my choice.

I grabbed the blue pill from the stranger's left hand and swallowed it whole. No need for a drink to chase it down, it went smoothly. All there was left to do was wait for the effect to take over. I had no idea how would that work, or if it would work, to begin with. How can materialize something imaginary into something tangible?

Yet there it was. All it took was concentrating on the mental image of the character of my choosing, and seconds later they stood right before my unfocused eyes. It was a surreal experience, and for a moment I thought they were just a hallucination.  Unfortunately for me –and later everybody else, as I realized with horror–, they weren’t.

What happens when you take someone whose life has been a living hell from the start and put them in a relatively peaceful world? A world, let me elaborate, that it’s way less advanced than the character’s home planet. A person who was deprived of the simplest of rights while under such a dictatorship that it would make Hitler, Stalin and Mao combined look harmless in comparison. Someone so experienced and intelligent that would have no trouble whatsoever climbing ranks inside the most powerful organizations…

When that happens, you realize that you didn't bring only the character from their fictional world, but by proxy, they brought their world with themselves.

All my scarce friends and family are dead, and I’m sure it won’t be long until I meet them on the other side. It’s my fault, I know; I brought this upon all of us. I wish now that I had chosen the red pill instead. Then, only I would have had to suffer whatever destiny I picked for myself and wouldn’t have doomed an entire world full of innocent people because of my selfishness.

______      ______      ______


No recuerdo cómo llegué allí o dónde estaba; todo lo que sé es que había personas extrañas a mi alrededor, aparentemente drogadas. Estaba sentado en una silla arruinada, paranoico y asustado, con alguien de aspecto sobrio sentado frente a mí. Tenía los dos brazos estirados hacia a mí, con las palmas hacia arriba, sosteniendo algo pequeño y colorido en cada una.

Eran pastillas, según me dijo. Una roja y otra azul; algo así como esa película de ciencia ficción. No recuerdo mucho de lo que sucedió esa noche, solo que me explicaron lo que hacían las píldoras y que tenía que elegir solo una. No sé por qué estaba allí, ni por qué tuve que elegir una de esas cosas. La parte más extraña es que, a pesar de todo eso, ni siquiera quería irme todavía.

La píldora roja podría –al parecer– transportarme a un mundo ficticio de mi elección, ya sea literatura, cine, televisión, música o pintura. La píldora azul –también supuestamente– podría traer un personaje ficticio de su mundo ficticio a nuestro mundo real. Nada de eso tenía sentido para mí, pero sin embargo sonaba interesante.

Luego lo pensé desde otra perspectiva: podría quitar a un personaje que era miserable en su propio mundo y darle la oportunidad de comenzar de nuevo y tener una vida mejor. Eso sonaba bien; eso podría funcionar. Y luego, sin darme cuenta, ya había hecho mi elección.

Agarré la píldora azul de la mano izquierda del extraño y la tragué entera. No sentí la necesidad de una bebida para ayudarme, pasó sin problema. Todo lo que quedaba por hacer era esperar a que surgiera efecto. No tenía idea de cómo funcionaría, o si funcionaría, para empezar. ¿Cómo puede materializar algo imaginario en algo tangible?

Sin embargo, ahí estaba. Todo lo que hizo falta fue concentrarme en la imagen mental del personaje de mi elección, y segundos después se encontraba parado ante mis ojos. Fue una experiencia surreal, y por un momento pensé que era solo una alucinación. Desafortunadamente para mí –y luego para todos los demás, como me di cuenta con horror–, no lo era.

¿Qué sucede cuando tomas a alguien cuya vida ha sido un infierno desde el principio y lo pones en un mundo relativamente pacífico? Un mundo, déjenme aclararlo, que es mucho menos avanzado que el planeta de origen del personaje. Una persona que fue privada de los derechos más simples mientras estaba bajo una dictadura que haría que Hitler, Stalin y Mao combinados parecieran inofensivos en comparación. Alguien tan experimentado e inteligente que no tendría problemas para subir de rango dentro de las organizaciones más poderosas...

Cuando eso sucede, te das cuenta de que no solo trajiste al personaje de su mundo ficticio, sino que por consiguiente, trajo su mundo consigo.

Todos mis escasos amigos y mi familia están muertos, y estoy seguro de que no pasará mucho tiempo hasta que los encuentre en el Más Allá. Es mi culpa, lo sé; traje el fin del mundo. Ahora deseo haber elegido la píldora roja. Entonces, solo habría tenido que sufrir el destino que elegí para mí y no habría condenado a un mundo entero lleno de personas inocentes debido a mi egoísmo.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario