martes, 8 de octubre de 2019

The Lost City | La ciudad perdida


I have lived in California for the past five years, working my ass off to pay my college tuition and my general livelihood. Around ten years ago I decided to come to the United States to study and get a high paying job so I could send money back to my family in the Philippines. Whatever money I manage to scrap at the end of the month that I don't need to survive, I send it to them. They don't usually reply because of how costly it is to send letters to the other side of the world, so I figured when I got one from my mother that it must be for an important reason.

The letter was short and it seemed like the writer had been shaking while doing so. It explained that one of my aunts, my father’s youngest sister, had disappeared suddenly into thin air. They could not find any trace of her, nor any witness that could give information about her whereabouts. She didn’t take anything with her, and there was no sign of breaking into the house. From what my uncle, her husband, told my parents, she was in her home at the time of her disappearance; and the official police report claims that she left the house willingly.

At the time I received that letter I felt sad and confused. I couldn’t understand why my aunt, such a happy and lovely woman that lived for taking care of her family, would suddenly go away like that. I tried to make reason of it, convincing myself that he might have gone out to buy something or whatever and that she could have been in an accident or something. After all, that sort of thing isn’t rare over there. Yet in my gut, it felt wrong to dismiss it as something so trivial like that. But it wasn’t until a few months later that I finally understood what my instincts were trying to tell me.

I can still remember one night that I was spending at my uncle's house with my parents. We were having dinner and it was getting late, but my aunt was anxious about something, so she took my mom aside and into the kitchen to speak with her. Even at the young age of six, I knew that I wasn’t supposed to be part of that conversation, but my curiosity got the best of me and I followed them to listen in to what they were saying.

What I heard that night while being hidden behind the kitchen door, which was slightly opened and allowed their hushed voices to carry out to my ears, was something confusing and completely unknown to me. After enduring a massive scolding from my mother about hearing other people’s conversations (which was given to me in the first place since I asked about what I heard), she reluctantly explained to me what my aunt was so vehemently speaking of.

There’s an old Philippine legend about a mysterious city called Biringan, allegedly invisible and populated by supernatural beings called Engkantos, who are shapeshifters that can take human form. This fantasy city is supposed to be some kind of shiny and futuristic utopia, where people who live there are forever happy and refuse to leave. She also said that there have been some claims made by people, who have lost their loved ones, about receiving letters that supposedly came from said deceased or missing persons and that these came from Biringan. As it turned out, my aunt was discussing with my mom about it, saying that she wanted to go.

At the time, it seemed like one of those fairy tales meant to scare children, and it actually worked fine on me then, but as I grew older I began to see it as just what it was: a legend. And then the thought occurred to me that maybe my aunt went missing while searching for that place, although I could never understand how someone older than ten could believe in such a thing. Still, I ultimately shrugged it off as a stupid excuse to try to explain what happened and decided to move on, already believing my aunt to be dead. There was no hope in thinking that she would turn up after so long, so it was for the best to confront reality.

Until one day I received another letter from my home country. At first, I thought that it was from my mom, either confirming my aunt’s return or found body; but as soon as I saw the information scribbled on the envelope I knew it wasn’t from her. It was from my aunt, and the address it was sent from –just like the other letters mentioned in the rumors surrounding the legend– was Biringan. My first impression was that it was a prank, but I found it hard to believe that the post office would actually send something like that. Not wanting to dwell too much on it, I decided to look at whatever it had inside.

Once I tore open the white envelope, I found a letter written in fine handwriting and a couple of photos. My heart was pounding like crazy and for a second there I was afraid to look at the black and white images, so instead, I read the letter. It was –apparently– from my aunt indeed, and she was retelling the story of her journey in search of the Invisible City. She described it in as much detail as she could, speaking of such technological advances that seemed absolutely impossible at that time. And yet there were two pictures to prove her claims (according to her, of course).

Taking a deep breath, I took the photographs into my hands and inspected them closely. The first thing I noticed was that they weren’t black and white as I first thought –taken by the most common type of cameras that you could find and afford back there, since the ones that could take photos in color were too expensive–, but full color and in such high quality that it would have been impossible to exist then. One of the photos depicted a pristine, silver covered city that looked like it came out of some fantasy book. In the other one appeared my aunt, looking happy and healthy, surrounded by strange objects that I had never seen in my life, and I was currently living in America. Whatever those things were, they seemed to come from outer space.

I still have no idea if any of that is real or not, and I never told my parents because I didn't want to upset them. It was just weird that I didn’t hear anything from them. Maybe they felt like I did and thought best to keep me in the dark, or maybe, and even more strangely, they never got a letter as I did. But then why did I get one in the first place? 

I don’t know, and I don’t think I’ll find out anytime soon. All I can say for sure is that for some unknown reason, those pictures and that letter creep the hell out of me.

______      ______      ______


He vivido en California durante los últimos cinco años, trabajando duro para pagar mi matrícula universitaria y mi sustento general. Hace unos diez años decidí venir a los Estados Unidos para estudiar y conseguir un trabajo bien remunerado, para poder enviarle dinero a mi familia en Filipinas. Cualquier dinero que me sobre al final del mes y que no necesito para vivir, se los envío. Por lo general, no responden por lo costoso que es enviar cartas al otro lado del mundo, así que cuando recibí una de mi madre supuse que debía ser por una razón importante.

La carta era corta y parecía que quien la escribió había estado temblando mientras lo hacía. Explicaba que una de mis tías, la hermana menor de mi padre, había desaparecido repentinamente. No pudieron encontrar ningún rastro de ella, ni ningún testigo que pudiera dar información sobre su paradero. Ella no se llevó nada, y no había señales de intrusión en la casa. Por lo que mi tío, su esposo, les dijo a mis padres, ella estaba en su casa al momento de su desaparición; y el informe oficial de la policía afirma que ella salió de la casa voluntariamente.

Cuando recibí esa carta me sentí triste y confundido. No podía entender por qué mi tía, una mujer tan feliz y encantadora, que vivía para cuidar de su familia, se fue de repente así. Traté de razonarlo, convenciéndome de que podría haber salido a comprar o lo que sea y que podría haber tenido un accidente o algo. Después de todo, ese tipo de cosas no es raro allí. Sin embargo, para mí se sentía mal tomarlo como algo tan trivial. Pero no fue hasta unos meses después que finalmente entendí lo que mi instinto intentaba decirme.

Todavía recuerdo una noche que pasé en la casa de mi tío con mis padres. Estábamos cenando y ya era tarde, pero mi tía estaba ansiosa por algo, así que llevó a mi madre a la cocina para hablar con ella. Incluso a la temprana edad de seis años, sabía que no debía ser parte de esa conversación, pero mi curiosidad se apoderó de mí y las seguí para escuchar lo que decían.

Lo que escuché esa noche mientras estaba escondido detrás de la puerta de la cocina, que estaba ligeramente abierta y permitía que sus voces se escucharan de manera clara, fue algo confuso y completamente desconocido para mí. Después de sufrir un gran regaño de mi madre por escuchar las conversaciones de otras personas (que me dieron después de que pregunté sobre lo que escuché), ella me explicó de mala gana de qué hablaba mi tía con tanta vehemencia.

Hay una vieja leyenda filipina sobre una ciudad misteriosa llamada Biringan, supuestamente invisible y poblada por seres sobrenaturales llamados Engkantos, que son cambiaformas que pueden tomar forma humana. Se supone que esta ciudad de fantasía es una especie de utopía brillante y futurista, donde las personas que viven allí son felices para siempre y se niegan a irse. También dijo que ha habido algunos reclamos hechos por personas, que han perdido a sus seres queridos, acerca de recibir cartas que supuestamente provenían de dichas personas fallecidas o desaparecidas y que éstas provenían de Biringan. Al final resultó que, mi tía estaba discutiendo con mi madre respecto a eso, diciendo que quería ir.

En ese momento, parecía uno de esos cuentos de hadas destinados a asustar a los niños, y en realidad funcionó conmigo, pero a medida que crecí comencé a verlo como lo que era: una leyenda. Y luego se me ocurrió que tal vez mi tía desapareció mientras buscaba ese lugar, aunque nunca pude entender cómo alguien mayor de diez años podría creer en tal cosa. Aun así, lo terminé considerando una excusa estúpida para tratar de explicar lo que sucedió y decidí seguir adelante, ya creyendo que mi tía estaba muerta. No había esperanza en pensar que aparecería después de tanto tiempo, por lo que era  mejor enfrentar la realidad.

Hasta que un día recibí otra carta de mi país natal. Al principio, pensé que era de mi madre, ya sea para confirmar el regreso de mi tía o que su cuerpo había sido hallado; pero tan pronto como vi la información garabateada en el sobre, supe que no era de ella. Era de mi tía, y la dirección desde la que fue enviada –al igual que las otras cartas mencionadas en los rumores que rodean la leyenda– era Biringan. Mi primera impresión fue que era una broma, pero me resultó difícil creer que la oficina de correos realmente enviaría algo así. No queriendo detenerme demasiado a pensar en eso, decidí mirar lo que tenía dentro.

Una vez que abrí el sobre blanco, encontré una carta escrita con letra fina y un par de fotos. Mi corazón latía como loco y por un segundo tuve miedo de mirar las imágenes en blanco y negro, así que leí la carta. Era –aparentemente– de mi tía, y en ésta contaba la historia de su viaje en busca de la Ciudad Invisible. Lo describió con el mayor detalle posible, hablando de avances tecnológicos que parecían absolutamente imposibles en ese momento. Y sin embargo, había dos imágenes para probar sus afirmaciones (según ella, por supuesto).

Respirando profundamente, tomé las fotografías en mis manos y las inspeccioné de cerca. Lo primero que noté fue que no eran en blanco y negro como pensé al principio –tomadas por el tipo más común de cámaras que se podía encontrar y comprar allí, ya que las que podían tomar fotos en color eran demasiado caras–, pero a todo color y en tan alta calidad que hubiera sido imposible crear en ese entonces. Una de las fotos mostraba una ciudad prístina, cubierta de plata, que parecía sacada de un libro de fantasía. En la otra aparecía mi tía, mostrándose feliz y saludable, rodeada de objetos extraños que nunca había visto en mi vida, y eso que vivía en Estados Unidos. Lo que sea que fueran esas cosas, parecían provenir del espacio exterior.

Todavía no tengo idea de si algo de eso es real o no, y nunca se lo dije a mis padres porque no quería perturbarlos. Era extraño que no supiera nada de ellos. Tal vez se sintieron como yo y pensaron mejor mantenerme en la oscuridad, o tal vez, y aún más extraño, nunca recibieron una carta como yo. Pero entonces, ¿por qué obtuve una en primer lugar?

No lo sé, y no creo que lo descubra pronto. Todo lo que puedo decir con certeza es que, por alguna razón desconocida, esas imágenes y esa carta me asustan muchísimo.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario