viernes, 4 de octubre de 2019

Battleship Island | La isla acorazada


Last year I visited Japan with my mother, whose roots come from there. She wanted to take me to the island of Hashima, where her family lived for some time while working on the carbon mines beneath the island. Once they were able to leave, they moved to America, where I was born. The small island is currently abandoned and only used as a tourist spot since it became a World Heritage place.

The look of the decayed buildings was truly spectral and spooky, especially considering how fast they crumbled down in such a short amount of time. By the time I went, my mom couldn’t accompany me since she was with the flu, so I made the little trip on my own.
The part of the ruins that was accessible to the public was quite narrowed since there were still high chances of debris falling from the edifications around. Despite the sights and some of the background story, the tour was pretty boring, so I decided to make it a little more worthy of my time and money.

I walked off the main path into the restricted areas where walking became much more difficult due to the debris littering the ground. Still, it was worth the effort since I was able to see much more than from the walkway. I even saw some furniture that clearly belonged to the families who were forced to live and work there.

As I wandered through the fallen apartments, I felt something creeping on me. A shiver ran down my spine and I turned sharply on my heels in order to try and see what was making me feel so on edge. At first, I didn’t see anything aside from rubble and garbage but as I focused my eyes to see into the dark beneath the nearby building, I saw movement.

I heard a faint whisper, more like a murmur, from a torn voice, saying something in a foreign language. It seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere at the same time, so I became disoriented and even a little dizzy, although I don’t know why. And then I saw it, a skeletal arm reaching from under the blocks of cracked cement at my left. It was grey and it smelled like rotten flesh.

I didn’t wait for it to come entirely out of its lair. I bolted right out of there, and in doing so I tripped and twisted my ankle. As I started panicking because I couldn’t stand up and run again, I watched horrified as that thing began to reveal more of itself and its hellish appearance.

I began to scream as loud as I could, asking for help. Before I could look at its face, I closed my eyes tightly and wished for a quick death at the hands of that unnatural being. I heard a scream that wasn’t mine, that wasn’t even human, followed by half a dozen of footsteps coming my way. The next time I opened my eyes, the monster was nowhere in sight and I was surrounded by security guys yelling at me. Half of what they were saying was about me trespassing, and the other half was something about a medic.

I never told my mother about it, only about my stupid recklessness and the accident. I never went back to Japan, and I don’t plan to do so in the future either. I don’t know what that was or if it was alive or dead.

______      ______      ______


El año pasado visité Japón con mi madre, cuyas raíces provienen de allí. Quería llevarme a la isla de Hashima, donde su familia vivió durante un tiempo mientras trabajaba en las minas de carbón bajo la isla. Una vez que pudieron irse, se mudaron a América, donde nací. Actualmente, la pequeña isla está abandonada y solo se utiliza como punto turístico desde que se convirtió en Patrimonio de la Humanidad.

El aspecto de los edificios en decaimiento era realmente espectral y espeluznante, especialmente considerando lo rápido que se derrumbaron en tan poco tiempo. Cuando fui, mi madre no podía acompañarme porque estaba con gripe, así que hice el pequeño viaje solo.

La parte de las ruinas que era accesible al público se redujo bastante, ya que todavía había altas posibilidades de que cayeran escombros de las edificaciones. A pesar de las vistas y parte de la historia, el tour fue bastante aburrido, por lo que decidí hacerlo un poco más digno de mi tiempo y dinero.

Salí del camino principal hacia las áreas restringidas, donde caminar se volvió mucho más difícil debido a los escombros que cubrían el terreno. Aun así, valió la pena el esfuerzo, ya que pude ver mucho más que desde la pasarela. Incluso vi algunos muebles que pertenecían claramente a las familias que se vieron obligadas a vivir y trabajar allí.

Mientras deambulaba por los apartamentos caídos, sentí algo acechándome. Un escalofrío recorrió mi columna vertebral y giré bruscamente sobre mis talones para tratar de ver qué me ponía tan nervioso. Al principio, no vi nada aparte de los escombros y la basura, pero al enfocar mis ojos para ver en la oscuridad debajo del edificio cercano, vi movimiento.

Escuché un leve susurro, más parecido a un murmullo, de una voz desgarrada, que decía algo en un idioma extranjero. Parecía venir de la nada y de todas partes al mismo tiempo, así que me desorienté e incluso me mareé un poco, aunque no sé por qué. Y entonces lo vi, un brazo esquelético que se extendía por debajo de los bloques de cemento agrietado a mi izquierda. Era gris y olía a carne podrida.

No esperé a que saliera por completo de su guarida. Salí corriendo de allí, y al hacerlo tropecé y me torcí el tobillo. Cuando comencé a entrar en pánico porque no podía levantarme y correr de nuevo, vi horrorizado cómo esa cosa comenzó a revelar más de sí misma y su aspecto infernal.

Comencé a gritar tan fuerte como pude, pidiendo ayuda. Antes de poder mirar su rostro, cerré los ojos con fuerza y deseé una muerte rápida a manos de ese ser antinatural. Escuché un grito que no era mío, que ni siquiera era humano, seguido de media docena de pasos en mi dirección. La próxima vez que abrí los ojos, el monstruo no estaba a la vista y yo estaba rodeado de guardias de seguridad que me gritaban. La mitad de lo que decían era sobre mi intrusión, y la otra mitad era sobre un médico.

Nunca se lo conté a mi madre sobre eso, solo le dije sobre mi estúpida imprudencia y el accidente. Nunca volví a Japón, y tampoco planeo hacerlo en el futuro. No sé qué fue eso, ni si estaba vivo o muerto.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario