miércoles, 9 de octubre de 2019

The Last Immortal | El último inmortal


Some people fear heights, some other fear tight spaces; but I? Well, I fear loneliness. All I knew from the moment I was born, was people. My mother, my father; my family and my friends. The people of my neighborhood, the kids from my school. Every person in the city, the country, the world. Of course, there are other beings like animals, and objects on Earth, but what I liked the most had always been the people. You could really interact with those if you were open enough, but not everyone was like me. I guess that was the biggest problem, the lack of understanding.

I didn’t know about it back then, and when I realized it was already late. I never was content by being by myself, always needed someone by my side. To this day I still can’t figure it out, but it’s no use anymore, so why even bother. I’m all alone.

It started one time I scraped my knee when I was playing as a child. Despite not knowing better, I contemplated as it healed instantly. When I told my mother about it, she didn’t believe me. Similar things like that kept happening over and over again. My family only began to worry about what could be wrong with me when the years started to pass for everyone but me.

It was after all my family had died that I understood that death had left me behind. Can’t die, can’t age and can’t be really harmed. Everyone would think that it’s a blessing in disguise; they would all say that it’s a wish come true. Or at least they would if they were still alive. It’s hard to see it as anything remotely good when you’re the only one left on the face of the Earth, after living for thousands of years and watching as humanity brought upon itself its destruction.

Now all that remains is me, forever. I tried so many times, in so many different ways, to just kill myself and be done with it. So far it hasn’t worked. All there’s left is this barren land that used to be filled with life. I counted the days to my death until I lost count. Now all I can do is walk the deserted planet in search of anything or anyone that might still be alive, like me. And if I find nothing, I shall wait for the sun to die and take me with it. Just a few million years more.

______      ______      ______


Algunas personas le temen a las alturas y otras le temen a los espacios reducidos, pero ¿yo? Bueno, yo le temo a la soledad. Todo lo que conocí desde el momento en que nací, fue gente. Mi madre y mi padre; mi familia y mis amigos. La gente de mi barrio y los niños de mi escuela. Cada persona en la ciudad, el país y el mundo. Por supuesto, hay otros seres, como animales, y objetos en la Tierra, pero lo que más me gustó siempre fue la gente. Realmente podías interactuar con ellos si eras lo suficientemente abierto, pero no todos eran como yo. Supongo que ese fue el mayor problema, la falta de comprensión.

No lo sabía en aquel entonces, y cuando me di cuenta, ya era tarde. Nunca estuve contento estando solo, siempre necesité a alguien a mi lado. Hasta el día de hoy todavía no puedo resolverlo, pero ya no sirve de nada, así que ¿por qué molestarse? Estoy completamente solo.

Comenzó una vez que me raspé la rodilla cuando jugaba de niño. A pesar de no entenderlo del todo, contemplé cómo se me curaba al instante. Cuando se lo conté a mi madre, ella no me creyó. Cosas similares a esa siguieron sucediendo una y otra vez. Mi familia solo comenzó a preocuparse por lo que podría estar mal conmigo cuando los años comenzaron a pasar para todos menos para mí.

Fue después de que toda mi familia había muerto que entendí que la muerte me había dejado atrás. No puedo morir, no puedo envejecer y no puedo ser realmente lastimado. Todos pensarían que es una bendición; todos dirían que es un deseo hecho realidad. O al menos lo harían si todavía estuvieran vivos. Es difícil verlo como algo remotamente bueno cuando eres el único que queda en la faz de la Tierra, después de vivir durante miles de años y observar cómo la humanidad se condujo hacia su propia destrucción.

Ahora todo lo que queda soy yo, para siempre. Intenté muchas veces, de muchas maneras diferentes, matarme y terminar con esto. Hasta ahora no ha funcionado. Todo lo que queda es esta tierra estéril que solía estar llena de vida. Conté los días hasta mi muerte, hasta que perdí la cuenta. Ahora todo lo que puedo hacer es caminar por el planeta desierto en busca de cualquier cosa o persona que pueda estar aún viva, como yo. Y si no encuentro nada, esperaré a que muera el sol y me lleve con él. Solo unos pocos millones de años más.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario