domingo, 20 de octubre de 2019

Dining Car | Vagón comedor


There was this one time I took one of those fancy long-distance trains that had a dining car access included in my ticket. I always wanted to be in one of those, after seeing countless movies in which they appear. I thought that it would be a fun experience, but looking back on it, I think it was everything except that.

Remembering it now, it seems more like a dream than something that actually happened. I mean, it was so bizarre to even believe that it was real, but I swear it was! At least I think so…

I don’t recall much of it; you know, kind of like an actual dream, but I still feel in my gut that it did happen. I went there only for breakfast because after witnessing what went on in there I lost my appetite for the rest of the trip. I just didn't want to return there after what I saw.

First of all, I’m not sure if it was just a weird con artist or what, but there was an old man, wearing a suit and a hat (yes, inside the car), that had round sunglasses on and had placed a cane on the side of his table. It was the kind of cane that blind people use; so far nothing strange, right? Just a regular blind man having breakfast...while reading the newspaper. Maybe it was all just an act, or he liked the irony, playing it for laughs, but the whole thing just unsettled me. But that wasn’t all.

Right behind the “blind” man, there was an opening that apparently led to the kitchen behind the counter. It seemed normal, save because there was a red handprint painted in one of the walls. It looked like it was made by someone who was bleeding to death or something. I assured myself that maybe one of the cooks or the waitresses had put their hand on top of a ketchup spill and unknowingly marked the wall on their way to clean themselves, but something told me that wasn’t exactly the case.

To further rile me up, one of the waitresses behind the counter was slicing what looked like a cherry pie or something of that like. Yet from the red color of the stuffing, and the stickiness of the same, it appeared to be nothing of that sort, but rather something that I didn’t even want to venture into thinking about.

I tried to distract myself by focusing my attention on the mother and child near the counter, which were arguing. The little boy wanted to go somewhere, apparently the kitchen, but the mother held tightly onto his arm. With a tentacle. A fucking tentacle.

It was then that I started to disconnect from everything that was around me, not without realizing, at last, the various slim tentacles that were coming out from under the furniture that held the plates and glasses behind the counter.

My mind just couldn’t process all of that; I wasn’t even sure if what I was seeing was real or not. I tried to ignore all of it, arguing that I was just hallucinating or whatever. And so, I pretended that everything was fine and I returned to my steaming coffee.

As soon as I noticed the perfect skull that the foam of my coffee had shaped into, I almost dropped the mug before I ran out of there. I never went back, of course, and I have been avoiding long-distance trains ever since.

I’m not sure of what was all of that, or if it was even real and not a product of whatever had possessed my mind at that time. But just to keep some sanity, I prefer to think that it was all a weird dream that I had that night I slept on the train and not something that I actually experienced while awake the next morning.

______      ______      ______


Hubo una vez que tomé uno de esos elegantes trenes de larga distancia que tenían el acceso a un vagón comedor incluido en mi pasaje. Siempre quise estar en uno de esos, después de ver innumerables películas que los mostraban. Pensé que sería una experiencia divertida, pero en retrospectiva, creo que fue todo menos eso.

Al recordarlo ahora, parece más un sueño que algo que realmente sucedió. Quiero decir, fue tan extraño incluso creer que era real, ¡pero juro que lo fue! Al menos eso pienso…

No recuerdo mucho al respecto; ya sabes, como un sueño real, pero todavía siento en mi interior que sucedió en verdad. Fui allí solo para el desayuno porque después de presenciar lo que sucedió allí, perdí el apetito por el resto del viaje. Simplemente no quería volver allí después de lo que vi.

En primer lugar, no estoy seguro de si era solo un estafador extraño o qué, pero había un anciano, vestido con un traje y un sombrero (sí, dentro del tren), que tenía anteojos de sol redondos y había colocado un bastón al lado de la mesa. Era el tipo de bastón que usan las personas ciegas. Hasta ahora nada extraño, ¿verdad? Solo un ciego normal desayunando...mientras leía el periódico. Tal vez todo fue solo un acto, o le gustó la ironía, le pareció gracioso, pero todo esto me inquietó. Sin embargo, eso no fue todo.

Justo detrás del hombre "ciego", había una abertura que aparentemente conducía a la cocina detrás del mostrador. Parecía normal, salvo porque había una huella roja pintada en una de las paredes. Parecía haber sido hecha por alguien que estaba desangrándose o algo así. Me aseguré a mí mismo que tal vez uno de los cocineros o las camareras había puesto su mano sobre un derrame de ketchup y sin saberlo había marcado la pared de camino a limpiarse, pero algo me dijo que ese no era exactamente el caso.

Para preocuparme aún más, una de las camareras detrás del mostrador estaba cortando lo que parecía un pastel de cereza. Sin embargo, por el color rojo del relleno y la pegajosidad del mismo, no tenía pinta de ser algo de ese tipo, sino algo en lo que ni siquiera quería aventurarme a pensar.

Traté de distraerme enfocando mi atención en la madre y el niño cerca del mostrador, quienes estaban discutiendo. El niño quería ir a algún lado, aparentemente a la cocina, pero la madre lo sujetaba fuertemente del brazo. Con un tentáculo. Un puto tentáculo.

Fue entonces cuando comencé a desconectarme de todo lo que estaba a mi alrededor, no sin darme cuenta, por fin, de los diversos tentáculos delgados que salían de debajo de los muebles que sostenían los platos y vasos detrás del mostrador.

Mi mente no podía procesar todo eso; ni siquiera estaba seguro de si lo que estaba viendo era real o no. Traté de ignorar todo, argumentando que solo estaba alucinando. Y así, fingí que todo estaba bien y volví a mi café caliente.

Tan pronto como noté la calavera perfecta que se había formado en la espuma de mi café, casi dejo caer la taza antes de salir corriendo de allí. Nunca volví, por supuesto, y he estado evitando los trenes de larga distancia desde entonces.

No estoy seguro de qué fue todo eso, o si fue incluso real y no un producto de lo que había poseído mi mente en ese momento. Pero solo para mantener la cordura, prefiero pensar que todo fue un sueño extraño que tuve esa noche que dormí en el tren y no algo que realmente experimenté mientras estaba despierto la mañana siguiente.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario