viernes, 18 de octubre de 2019

Hotel


There was this one time I stayed at a shitty and shady hotel in some city I was just passing through. The whole building was rundown and in poor conditions, making it doubtful that it should even stay in business anymore. But I needed a cheap place in which to crash for the night, and I had no other options. Looking back on it, I wish I would have rather slept in a park.

The place was dirty and smelled awful. The old woman working at the reception desk seemed taken out from a horror movie, and like she shouldn’t even be able to still be alive. I just asked for a room and paid for it, not once hearing anything come out of her mouth.

I took the key and went to the stairs since the elevator was out of service due to flooding reasons. My room was on the sixth and last floor, and it had a view of the main street down below. As I climbed the steps, I could have sworn that I heard strange noises coming from different floors, but I didn’t pay much attention.

When I finally arrived at my disgustingly filthy bedroom, I laid my backpack on one of the twin beds and went to the windows to have a cigarette, since I wasn’t supposed to smoke indoors but I wasn’t in the mood to walk out to the street or go to the rooftop. That way I learned that, oddly enough, the hotel had a twin building right in front of the one I was staying on, and that it belonged to the same owners. It was the very same hotel, only that in a similar building across the street.

Apparently, this other building was much more modern, since its front was a mixture of the same bricks the older version possessed and sleeker glass panels. Still, what called my attention was the fact that they weren’t tinted windows, but you could actually see inside every room without problems as long as there was light inside.

I never considered myself nosy or meddlesome, but I just couldn’t pry my eyes from what I was seeing in the hotel across the street. Mainly, because it seemed like I was just witnessing some sort of play, like if the building itself was a weird kind of theater.

As my eyes scanned through the different rooms and floors, everything just became more and more insane. I tried to rationalize it at that time, arguing with myself about losing my mind or something, but it all looked so real.

For starters, there was a man hanged on a street lamp, a tight noose around his neck. He was hanging close to one of the windows from the second floor, so I couldn’t say for sure if he did it himself or not. Then, in a room next to the hanging man, there was a gigantic black hand protruding from the floor. There was no sense I could make of that, but there it was.

Not wanting to keep my eyes on that nightmarish vision, I looked up toward the third floor. Through one of the windows of the room on the right, I could see a woman taking a shower, she was just hidden by a thin curtain, so I couldn’t notice any details. What I could see through the neighbor window was a man, holding a large knife, about to enter the bathroom where the woman was showering.

I couldn’t dare to see what would happen, so I took my eyes away and continued looking at the room next door, where I could see a weird-looking puppet –wearing some kind of black suit– sitting on a tricycle, surrounded by nothing but a low-light setting. The doll creeped the hell out of me, so I just moved on to the next room, now on the fourth floor.

In the first room, I could see a person hiding behind a couch, trying to shield himself from someone that seemed to be trying to break into the room. The other person was destroying the door with an ax. I really didn’t want to see how that one would play out.

At that point, I was already considering calling the police, but I was so terrified, yet enthralled, by what I was witnessing, that I just couldn’t dare to move. In the other room on the fourth floor, a woman was sitting in front of a TV which was only emitting static. Wasn’t sure why, but I had the strange feeling that if I kept looking, something would come out of the screen, and it wouldn’t be pretty.

Even when I couldn’t think that I could encounter anything worse than what I had already seen, the fifth floor and the rooftop were the most disturbing and disconcerting out of them all. The room on the left of the fifth floor had a guy leaning out of the window, precariously perched on the outside ledge, staring down at the sidewalk below, as if considering jumping to his death. I guess I would have done the same if I had behind me a mask-and-apron-wearing psychopath holding a chainsaw, like the guy across the street had in his room, if it were even his room at all.

The room on the other side wasn’t much of a better option since it held inside a crying baby, apparently left alone, and a creepy clown, holding a red balloon, standing on the metal stairwell on the side of the building. The fucking bastard was even waving at me, which scared me even more than all the other things combined.

Lastly, but not even remotely better in the least, there was a pale woman, with long black hair in a black gown, standing on a large puddle of something dark that my mind immediately thought that it was blood. The ghastly lady in question was near the “HOTEL” sign the building had on the front edge of the rooftop; the one which had the lights from the letters “O” and “T” burned out. That, combined with the fact that the light from the letter “L” reflected on the puddle behind it, on the rooftop, made it look like the sign instead said “HELL”, which ended up being obscurely appropriate as the designation for the nightmare-like building.

It was indeed a horrible thing to witness, and I thought that I couldn’t have been more afraid after seeing all of that happening in the hotel across the street. At least not until I noticed that the building across the street wasn’t a twin of my hotel. No, it was actually a much modern construction, with a facade made from tinted glass that looked like a series of big mirrors. There was no twin hotel, only a reflection of the one I was staying in.

I didn’t stay the night; I didn’t even stay a second longer. I just took my backpack and ran out of there without ever looking back, not even once stopping to consider if what I saw reflected was real, to begin with. Maybe the fact that I couldn’t see a sixth floor would have been an indication that I was just seeing things, but honestly...I didn’t want to take my chances and discover if I was crazy. Either way, I could have never lived with the truth of what happened that night in that hotel from hell.
______      ______      ______


Hubo una vez que me quedé en un hotel de mierda en una ciudad por la que estaba pasando. Todo el edificio estaba deteriorado y en malas condiciones, por lo que es dudoso que incluso deba seguir en funcionamiento. Pero necesitaba un lugar barato donde dormir por la noche, y no tenía otras opciones. Mirando hacia atrás, desearía haber dormido en un parque en vez de allí.

El lugar estaba sucio y olía fatal. La anciana que trabajaba en el mostrador de recepción parecía sacada de una película de terror, y como si ni siquiera debiera seguir viva. Solo pedí una habitación y pagué por ella, ni una sola vez escuché nada salir de su boca.

Tomé la llave y subí las escaleras, ya que el ascensor estaba fuera de servicio por motivos de inundación. Mi habitación estaba en el sexto y último piso, y tenía una vista de la calle principal debajo. Al subir las escaleras, podría haber jurado que escuché ruidos extraños provenientes de diferentes pisos, pero no presté mucha atención.

Cuando finalmente llegué a mi asquerosamente sucia habitación, dejé mi mochila en una de las camas gemelas y fui a la ventana para fumar un cigarrillo, ya que se suponía que no debía fumar en el interior, pero tampoco estaba de humor para salir a la calle o ir a la azotea. De esa manera supe que, por extraño que parezca, el hotel tenía un edificio gemelo justo enfrente del que me estaba quedando, y que pertenecía a los mismos propietarios. Era el mismo hotel, solo que en un edificio similar al otro lado de la calle.

Aparentemente, ese otro edificio era mucho más moderno, ya que su frente era una mezcla de los mismos ladrillos que poseía la versión anterior y paneles de vidrio más elegantes. Aun así, lo que me llamó la atención fue el hecho de que no tenían vidrios polarizados, pero en realidad se podía ver el interior de cada habitación sin problemas, siempre que hubiera luz adentro.

Nunca me consideré entrometido, pero simplemente no podía sacar mi mirada de lo que estaba viendo en el hotel de en frente. Principalmente, porque parecía que solo estaba presenciando algún tipo de obra teatral, como si el edificio en sí fuera una especie de teatro extraño.

Mientras mis ojos recorrían las diferentes habitaciones y pisos, todo se volvió cada vez más loco. Traté de racionalizarlo en ese momento, discutiendo conmigo mismo acerca de estar perdiendo la cabeza o algo así, pero todo parecía tan real.

Para empezar, había un hombre colgado de una farola, con un lazo apretado alrededor del cuello. Estaba colgado cerca de una de las ventanas del segundo piso, así que no podría decir con seguridad si lo hizo él mismo o no. Luego, en una habitación al lado del hombre colgado, había una mano negra gigantesca que sobresalía del suelo. No le podía encontrar sentido a eso, pero ahí estaba.

No queriendo mantener mis ojos en esa visión de pesadilla, miré hacia arriba al tercer piso. A través de una de las ventanas de la habitación a la derecha, pude ver a una mujer duchándose, estaba oculta por una cortina delgada, por lo que no pude notar ningún detalle. Lo que pude ver a través de la ventana vecina fue a un hombre, con un cuchillo grande, a punto de entrar al baño donde la mujer se estaba bañando.

No pude atreverme a ver qué pasaría, así que aparté los ojos y continué mirando la habitación de al lado, donde pude ver una marioneta de aspecto extraño –que llevaba una especie de traje negro–, sentada en un triciclo, rodeada de nada excepto poca luz. El muñeco me asustó muchísimo, así que pasé directamente a la habitación siguiente, ahora en el cuarto piso.

En la primera habitación, pude ver a una persona escondida detrás de un sofá, tratando de protegerse de alguien que parecía estar tratando de entrar en la habitación. La otra persona estaba destruyendo la puerta con un hacha. Realmente no quise ver cómo se desarrollaría esa escena.

En ese momento ya estaba considerando llamar a la policía, pero estaba tan aterrorizado y fascinado por lo que estaba presenciando, que no podía moverme. En la otra habitación del cuarto piso, había una mujer sentada frente a un televisor que solo emitía estática. No estaba seguro de por qué, pero tuve la extraña sensación de que, si seguía mirando, algo saldría de la pantalla y no sería bonito.

Incluso cuando pensaba que no podría encontrar algo peor de lo que ya había visto, el quinto piso y el techo eran los más inquietantes y desconcertantes de todos. La habitación a la izquierda del quinto piso tenía a un chico asomado por la ventana, precariamente parado en la cornisa exterior, mirando hacia la acera de abajo, como si estuviera considerando saltar a su muerte. Supongo que habría hecho lo mismo si tuviera detrás de mí un psicópata con máscara y delantal que sostenía una motosierra, como era el caso del chico de enfrente en su habitación, si es que era su cuarto.

La habitación del otro lado no era una mejor opción, ya que contenía dentro a un bebé que lloraba, aparentemente solo, y un payaso espeluznante, sosteniendo un globo rojo, de pie en la escalera de metal al lado del edificio. El maldito bastardo incluso me estaba saludando, lo que me asustó aún más que todas las otras cosas combinadas.

Por último, pero ni siquiera remotamente mejor en lo más mínimo, había una mujer pálida con el pelo largo y moreno, y con un vestido negro, parada en un gran charco de algo oscuro que mi mente inmediatamente pensó que era sangre. La horrible dama en cuestión estaba cerca del letrero de "HOTEL" que el edificio tenía en el borde delantero de la azotea; el que tenía las luces de las letras "O" y "T" quemadas. Eso se combinó con el hecho de que la luz de la letra "L" se reflejaba en el charco detrás de ésta, en la azotea, y hacía que pareciera que el letrero dijera "HELL", lo que terminó siendo una oscuramente apropiada designación para el edificio de pesadilla.

Fue realmente algo horrible de presenciar, y pensé que no podría haber sentido más miedo después de ver todo lo que sucedía en el hotel de enfrente. Al menos no hasta que me di cuenta de que el edificio al otro lado de la calle no era un gemelo de mi hotel. No, en realidad era una construcción muy moderna, con una fachada hecha de vidrio tintado que parecía una serie de grandes espejos. No había hotel gemelo, solo un reflejo del edificio en el que me estaba hospedando.

No me quedé a pasar la noche; ni siquiera me quedé ni un segundo más. Solo tomé mi mochila y salí corriendo de allí sin mirar atrás, ni una sola vez parando para considerar si lo que vi reflejado era real. Tal vez el hecho de que no pudiera ver un sexto piso hubiera sido una indicación de que solo estaba alucinando, pero sinceramente...no quise arriesgarme a descubrir si estaba loco o no. De cualquier manera, nunca podría haber vivido con la verdad de lo que sucedió esa noche en ese hotel del infierno.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario