lunes, 7 de octubre de 2019

The Center of the Universe | El centro del universo


There’s a place in Tulsa, Oklahoma, called the Center of the Universe. The story says that if you stand in the middle of the circle there and make any sound, it will be echoed back to you much louder and no one outside of the spot will be able to hear it.

I happened to be in the town some years back and having heard from a local bar about the unusual place I decide to visit it to see for myself if the legend was true. As I got there, the first thing I noticed was how unremarkable the spot was despite being so famous. There were no signs near it that indicated its presence, nor did it have anything that would distinguish it from its surroundings. If you walked by while not knowing that it was there, what it was, and what you had to be looking for, you wouldn’t notice it at all.

As I stood there, in the middle of the little circle, divided in the middle by a long crack on the floor, I started dropping things to see –or rather hear– what would happen. After all my skepticism, I had to recognize that the myth was true. The noise that the things that fell inside the circle made were echoed way louder. I can’t say anything about the part of the story that claims that no one outside the circle can hear anything that is said inside of it since I went by myself, but I can confirm the fact about one’s voice being echoed too. The only difference with what is said is that in reality only your voice is being echoed back, not your words.

At least that’s what happened to me; I spoke in a whisper, aware that what resounded would be much louder, and the “feedback” that I got was something completely different than what I initially said. I can’t repeat it, I don’t dare. I’ll rather just forget it or take it to my grave. Only thing I can advise about the Center of the Universe is to never talk while inside it because I can assure you that somenthing will talk back.

______      ______      ______


Hay un lugar en Tulsa, Oklahoma, llamado “El Centro del Universo”. La leyenda dice que si te paras en el medio del círculo y haces algún sonido, volverá como un eco mucho más fuerte, el cual nadie fuera del lugar podrá escuchar.

Hace unos años, estuve en la ciudad y, al haber escuchado en un bar local acerca del lugar inusual, decidí visitarlo para ver si el mito era cierto. Cuando llegué allí, lo primero que noté fue cuán insignificante era el lugar a pesar de ser tan famoso. No había carteles cerca del círculo que indicaran su presencia, ni tenía nada que lo distinguiera de su entorno. Si pasara sin saber que estaba allí, qué era y qué tenía que estar buscando, no lo notaría en absoluto.

Mientras estaba allí, en el medio del pequeño círculo, dividido a la mitad por una larga grieta en el piso, comencé a dejar caer cosas para ver –o más bien escuchar– lo que sucedería. Después de todo mi escepticismo, tuve que reconocer que el mito era cierto. El ruido que hicieron las cosas que cayeron dentro del círculo produjo un eco mucho más fuerte. No puedo decir nada sobre la parte de la historia que afirma que nadie fuera del círculo puede escuchar lo que se dice dentro de él, ya que fui solo, pero puedo confirmar el hecho de que la voz de uno también hace eco. La única diferencia con lo que se dice, es que en realidad solo hace eco tu voz, no tus palabras.

Al menos eso es lo que me pasó a mí; hablé en un susurro, consciente de que mi frase resonaría con mayor volúmen, y la "respuesta" que recibí fue algo completamente diferente a lo que dije inicialmente. No puedo repetirlo; no me atrevo. Prefiero olvidarlo o llevármelo a la tumba. Lo único que puedo aconsejar sobre el “Centro del Universo” es que nunca hables mientras estés dentro de él, porque puedo asegurarte que algo responderá.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario