jueves, 31 de octubre de 2019

Colorblind | Daltónica


Since birth, I have suffered from achromatopsia, also known as total color blindness, which means –in my particular case– that I cannot see any color at all, only black & white and every shade of grey in between.

Despite trying to live a normal life with my condition, it has always been a difficult struggle, at some times more aggravating than at others. But I still managed to experience everything as best as I could, not thinking much of that lackluster detail.

There were moments when it was really hard, especially when it involved socializing with others. I often got bullied in school because of it, being teased about my inability to match colors that I couldn’t see. After a while, I just stopped buying clothes that weren’t neutral in color.

Even relationships were hard to maintain at a certain age, with me being unable to pick gifts in the right shade and yet not wanting to bother other people and asking for help.

The worst of it all wasn't that I didn't have anyone that understood how I felt, but the fact that I couldn't understand and appreciate so many things about the world.

After dealing with depression related to that, I decided to search for people with the same condition, to at least find someone who I could share experiences with; someone that could really get me. That was how I found a blog related to the achromatopsia subject.

I found a lot of great people there, and some of them I actually got to meet in person, but somehow it just wasn’t enough. I was so obsessed with knowing what it was like to actually see colors that nothing could satisfy me. That’s when I found it.

There was this guy that had repeatedly been banned from the blog’s forum after constantly posting about some kind of place that had this allegedly magic cave that allowed people like us to see color while inside. I was enthralled by that, even when my rational self told me time and time again that it was stupid nonsense.

I looked for that guy everywhere on the internet, and when I finally found him and asked him about the cave. He told me that he had stumbled upon it on accident while hiking through some mountains in the West Coast desert, and that not only could he see in full color inside, despite the darkness as he went deeper inside (he even assured me that the stone walls glowed colorfully), but that after drinking water from a spring that he found there, his achromatopsia was cured completely.

At first, I just couldn’t believe it and thought that the guy was just messing with me. But after weeks of non-stop thinking about it, I decided to give it a try and asked the guy for directions to the place. He told me where to find the cave, but he also said that he wouldn’t be responsible for whatever bad thing happened to me in the midst of it. I didn’t care; all I wanted was to be able to really see.

That’s how I ended up taking a two-week trip to the mysterious cave, and despite all my doubts, I managed to find it. It was just like the guy said, a glowing rainbow pulsating through every inch inside the cave; walls, ceiling, and floor all covered in every color visible to men and –dare I say– even more.

I was marveled by the experience, and I knew at that very moment that I would rather die than going back to my world painted black & white, so I decided to venture deeper into the tunnel despite the sinking feeling in my stomach.

Against all odds, I also found the spring and drank from its iridescent water without a second thought. I wanted to see color more than anything in the world and wanted to do it until death came knocking at my door. I left the place with the renewed hope of being able to see the world in all its splendor and glory, finally having my biggest dream come true.

I enjoyed my new life for months, having come up with the perfect –but reasonable– excuse to explain why the sudden change in my color perception. It was all amazing, and I started to believe that everything was finally going to be alright. I even tried to contact the guy that told me about the place, to tell him that I went and that it worked; to thank him for his help. The thing is that he never responded to my messages, and I never knew anything else from or about him.

His sudden vanishment seemed quite strange at first, and I couldn’t understand what could have happened to him to make him disappear like that. But then it hit me, and I started to get not only why he was missing, but why he warned me against going to the cave.

The change was gradual in the beginning, but it increased as time went by. I thought that I was going crazy because I was the only one that could see it, but then I realized that the guy did probably see it as well.

I don’t know how much longer I can take it, but it’s becoming more and more difficult as the days pass. They are starting to grow in number, and the distance they usually keep is starting to get shorter. I don’t know what to do, but if they don’t go away, I can only see one way out of this, and it’s surely the same that the guy took for himself.

______      ______      ______


Desde mi nacimiento, he sufrido de acromatopsia, también conocida como daltonismo total. Eso significa –en mi caso particular– que no puedo ver ningún color, solo blanco, negro y todos los tonos de gris en el medio.

A pesar de tratar de vivir una vida normal con mi condición, siempre ha sido una lucha difícil, en algunos momentos más agravante que en otros. Pero aun así hice lo posible por experimentar todo lo mejor que pude, sin pensar mucho en ese detalle desalentador.

Hubo momentos en que fue realmente difícil, en especial cuando se trataba de socializar con otros. A menudo me acosaban en la escuela por eso, me molestaban por mi incapacidad para combinar colores que no podía ver. Después de un tiempo, dejé de comprar ropa que no era de colores neutro.

Incluso las relaciones eran difíciles de mantener a cierta edad, ya que no podía elegir los regalos en el tono correcto y, sin embargo, no quería molestar a otras personas y pedir ayuda.

Lo peor de todo no fue que no tenía a nadie que entendiera cómo me sentía, sino el hecho de que no podía entender y apreciar tantas cosas sobre el mundo.

Después de lidiar con la depresión relacionada con esto, decidí buscar personas con la misma condición, al menos para encontrar a alguien con quien pudiera compartir experiencias; alguien que realmente podría entenderme. Así fue como encontré un blog relacionado con el tema de la acromatopsia.

Encontré a muchas personas excelentes allí, y algunas de ellas las conocí en persona, pero de alguna manera no fue suficiente. Estaba tan obsesionada con saber cómo era realmente ver colores que nada podía satisfacerme. Fue entonces cuando lo encontré.

Había un tipo que había sido expulsado varias veces del foro del blog después de publicar constantemente sobre algún tipo de lugar que tenía una supuesta cueva mágica que permitía a las personas como nosotros ver el color mientras estuviesen dentro. Eso me cautivó, incluso cuando mi yo racional me dijo una y otra vez que era una tontería.

Busqué a ese tipo en todas partes en Internet, y cuando finalmente lo encontré le pregunté sobre la cueva. Él me dijo que había tropezado con ella por accidente mientras caminaba por algunas montañas en el desierto de la costa oeste, y que no solo podía ver a todo color dentro de ésta, a pesar de la oscuridad a medida que avanzaba (incluso me aseguró que las paredes de piedra brillaban de forma colorida), sino que después de beber agua de un manantial que encontró allí, su acromatopsia se curó por completo.

Al principio, simplemente no podía creerlo y pensé que el tipo solo estaba jugando conmigo. Pero después de semanas de no dejar de pensar en ello, decidí intentarlo y le pregunté al hombre cómo llegar al lugar. Me dijo dónde encontrar la cueva, pero también dijo que no se haría responsable de cualquier cosa mala que pudiera sucederme en medio de ella. No me importaba; todo lo que quería era poder ver realmente.

Así es como terminé haciendo un viaje de dos semanas a la misteriosa cueva, y a pesar de todas mis dudas, logré encontrarla. Era justo como dijo el tipo, un arcoiris brillante que palpitaba dentro de la cueva; paredes, techo y piso, todos cubiertos en todos los colores visibles para los hombres y –me atrevo a decir– aún más.

Me maravilló la experiencia, y supe en ese mismo momento que preferiría morir antes que volver a mi mundo pintado de blanco y negro, así que decidí aventurarme más dentro del túnel a pesar de la sensación de vacío en mi estómago.

Contra todo pronóstico, también encontré el manantial y bebí de su agua iridiscente sin pensarlo dos veces. Quería ver los colores más que nada en el mundo y quería hacerlo hasta que la muerte llamara a mi puerta. Salí del lugar con la renovada esperanza de poder ver el mundo en todo su esplendor y gloria, y finalmente mi sueño más grande se hizo realidad.

Disfruté de mi nueva vida durante meses, habiendo encontrado la excusa perfecta –pero razonable– para explicar por qué el repentino cambio en mi percepción del color. Todo fue increíble, y comencé a creer que todo al final iba a estar bien. Incluso traté de contactar al tipo que me contó sobre el lugar, para decirle que fui y que funcionó, y agradecerle por su ayuda. El caso es que él nunca respondió a mis mensajes, y nunca supe nada más de él.

Su repentina desaparición parecía bastante extraña al principio, y no podía entender lo que podría haberle sucedido para que desapareciera así. Pero luego me di cuenta, y comencé a entender no solo por qué ya no estaba, sino por qué me advirtió que no fuera a la cueva.

El cambio fue gradual al principio, pero aumentó con el paso del tiempo. Pensé que me estaba volviendo loca porque era el única que podía verlo, pero luego me di cuenta de que el tipo probablemente también lo veía.

No sé cuánto tiempo más pueda soportarlo, pero cada vez es más difícil a medida que pasan los días. Ellos están comenzando a crecer en número, y la distancia que generalmente mantienen comienza a acortarse. No sé qué hacer, pero si no se van, solo puedo ver una forma de salir de esto, y seguramente es la misma que el tipo tomó para sí mismo.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario