jueves, 17 de octubre de 2019

The Empty Room | La habitación vacía


“Have you ever been to an empty room? Like a really empty one”. That’s what an old friend of mine told me on a summer night while we were playing retro video games and smoking from his bong. He always got crazy and stupid ideas while high, so I really didn’t pay him that much attention at that time. 

I just went along with it, taking advantage of his distraction to take more hits while he spoke vaguely, trying to explain the concept to me. He said that this hypothetical room would be devoid of everything, except maybe the limits of it, like the walls, floor, and ceiling.

He got confused when he tried to think about what color the room would be. I commented that if it had walls and all of that but nothing else, like windows,  lights or any hole that would let outside light in, then the whole room would probably be pitch black. But for some reason that still remains unknown to this day, he was adamant that it wouldn’t be the case.

I heard nothing about it for the next few months, until one day I got a call at three in the morning. It was my friend, sounding way too excited over the line, urging me to go immediately to his house since he had made something.

All I did at that time was what any other sane person would have: remind him what the time was, tell him that he should go to sleep and that I’ll see him the next day, and then I just hung up. I was pissed that he had awoken me, so I didn’t pay him attention, as per usual when he got like that. I now know that I should have listened to him and went to see him, if only to not leave him alone.

As it turns out, he had become obsessed with his “true empty room” idea after that night he told me about it for the first time. It was to the point where he actually built one himself in his basement. I didn’t get to see much of it from up close, so all I can tell about it is that it was like a cube-shaped room with its interior walls, floor, and ceiling painted white.

Neither the police nor the medics could tell us much about the specifics of what happened since I think they weren’t completely sure themselves. All I know is that my friend went in there, closed the door, and came out with a shattered psyche.

He has since then been put into a mental institution, and the room was dismantled. The official report said that it was somehow soundproof and that even with no apparent light fixtures, it was a blinding white all around once you were inside and had closed the door.

There’s no good explanation for what happened to him, and he either refuses to talk altogether or his mind is just too fractured to make any sense of it. Maybe it doesn’t have any sense; guess we’ll never know about it. Still, I found a little notebook of his a couple of days ago, while helping his mother get rid of some old stuff that he would no longer need since he’ll stay in the institution for life. It didn’t say much, but it had the plans for the building of the room.

The strangest part is that the thing was so simple to make, to the point where the police report seems ludicrous. There’s no mention of lights or sound-proofing materials, just four walls, a floor, and a ceiling painted completely white.

I have been thinking as of late, that maybe if I build the damn thing myself I might understand what happened to my friend and what I saw in his basement all those years ago. I don’t really believe any of it, he probably already had a precondition worsened by a bad trip, so I don’t think I’ll end up insane like him.

I will try to build it and figure out the truth behind it all. I will also try to keep some record of it, probably video. I’ll let you know about my experience once I’m through with it. So, you know, if you don’t hear from me...well, then it’s probably real after all.

______      ______      ______


“¿Alguna vez has estado en una habitación vacía? En una realmente vacía”. Eso es lo que un viejo amigo mío me preguntó una noche de verano mientras estábamos jugando videojuegos retro y fumando de su bong. Siempre tuvo ideas locas y estúpidas mientras estaba drogado, así que realmente no le presté mucha atención en ese momento.

Simplemente le seguí la corriente, aprovechando su distracción para fumar más mientras él hablaba vagamente, tratando de explicarme el concepto. Dijo que esta habitación estaría desprovista de todo, excepto tal vez sus límites, como las paredes, el piso y el techo.

Se confundió cuando trató de pensar de qué color sería la habitación. Comenté que si tuviera paredes y todo eso, pero nada más, como ventanas, luces o cualquier agujero que dejara entrar luz exterior, entonces todo el cuarto probablemente estaría completamente oscuro. Pero por alguna razón que aún desconozco hasta el día de hoy, se mantuvo firme en que ese no sería el caso.

No escuché nada al respecto durante los próximos meses, hasta que un día recibí una llamada a las tres de la mañana. Era mi amigo, sonaba demasiado emocionado por el teléfono, insistiéndome a ir inmediatamente a su casa ya que había hecho algo.

Todo lo que hice en ese momento fue lo que cualquier otra persona sensata haría: recordarle qué hora era, decirle que debería irse a dormir y que lo vería al día siguiente, y luego colgué. Estaba enojado porque me había despertado, así que no le presté atención, como era costumbre cuando se ponía así. Ahora sé que debería haberlo escuchado e ido a verlo, aunque solo fuera para no dejarlo solo.

Resulta que se había obsesionado con su idea de una "verdadera habitación vacía" después de esa noche cuando me lo contó por primera vez. Tanto así que llegó hasta el punto en que él mismo construyó una en su sótano. No pude ver mucho de cerca, así que todo lo que puedo decir es que era como una habitación en forma de cubo con sus paredes interiores, piso y techo pintados de blanco.

Ni la policía ni los médicos pudieron contarnos mucho sobre los detalles de lo que sucedió, ya que creo que no estaban completamente seguros ellos mismos. Todo lo que sé es que mi amigo entró allí, cerró la puerta y salió con una psique destrozada.

Desde entonces ha estado internado en una institución mental, y la habitación fue desmantelada. El informe oficial decía que, de algún modo, era insonoro y que, incluso sin lámparas aparentes, había una luz cegadora por todas partes una vez que estabas dentro y habías cerrado la puerta.

No hay una buena explicación de lo que le sucedió, y él se niega a hablar por completo o su mente está demasiado fracturada para darle sentido. Tal vez no tiene ningún sentido; supongo que nunca lo sabremos. Aun así, encontré un pequeño cuaderno suyo hace un par de días, mientras ayudaba a su madre a deshacerse de algunas cosas viejas que ya no necesitaría, ya que permanecerá en la institución de por vida. No decía mucho, pero tenía los planes para la construcción de la habitación.

La parte más extraña es que la cosa fue tan simple de hacer que llega hasta el punto en que el informe policial parece ridículo. No se mencionan luces ni materiales de insonorización, solo cuatro paredes, un piso y un techo pintados completamente de blanco.

Últimamente, he estado pensando que, si construyo la maldita cosa yo mismo tal vez podría entender lo que le sucedió a mi amigo y lo que vi en su sótano hace tantos años. En realidad no creo en nada de eso, probablemente ya tenía una precondición empeorada por un mal viaje, así que no creo que termine loco como él.

Intentaré construirla y descubrir la verdad detrás de todo. También intentaré mantener un registro de ello, probablemente en video. Te dejaré saber sobre mi experiencia una vez que termine con ella. Entonces, ya sabes, si no tienes noticias mías...bueno, entonces puede que sea real después de todo.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario